It's Fixed in the Next Release

Observations on Everything

Idea: Typo Swap Key

This one is simple. Keyboards need a key that means “swap the characters on either side of the cursor”. I type words like “htis” all too often, and I suspect I’m not alone. Instead of positioning the cursor, deleting a letter, moving the cursor, and re-typing the letter, how about positioning the cursor between the offending letters and pressing “Swap”. While we’re at it, make variations such as Control-Swap to switch the two letters immediately behind the cursor, and Alt-Swap to exchange the two letters at the beginning of the latest word.

Now there’s something I could use. A lot.

Posted in: Steal this Idea
  • Anonymous

    Sounds like the software should just do it if “htis” is not a word but “this” is a word found in the dictionary.

    [Ed. Note: Most spell checkers have that sort of thing built in, although they sometimes don’t get it right. But that doesn’t help with things like programming tools where there is no effective dictionary. For example, there’s no way to know that SomeVraible should be SomeVariable.]

    June 5, 2009 at 20:56
  • URS

    Yes, it’s a known problem.

    I’m working with vi, and zwo characters can be swapped by typing _xp_. Just two keystrokes.

    June 29, 2010 at 09:39

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Spammers: We use Akismet for spam filtering, then moderate every comment; don't waste your time here.